In order to watch TV shows and movies without internet connection, you have the possibility to download certain titles* to offline mode on your mobile devices (mobile/tablet). At this time it’s not possible to download material on other devices such as PC/Mac, Apple TV or Smart TV. Content you download is stored on the device’s internal memory. Sports events are not available offline.
How do I download content to my device?
- Select a movie or episode that you want to download. Press Save offline.
- If you do not have access to wifi, you can choose to allow downloading with mobile data under Account settings.
- Once you have downloaded the content, you will find all your offline material in the Offline tab in the Viaplay application.
- You have access to the downloaded content for 30 days after which you need to renew the downloaded licenses. You can easily do this on the content page or through the Offline tab.
You also have the option to activate a feature that enables you to only see TV shows and movies that are available to download in the Viaplay application. Go to the Account tab to enable Offline Filtering.
Download rented/purchased movies
You can also download rented/purchased movies after the purchase has been completed. When it comes to kids movies, you have to first choose which language you want to download the movie in. It is not possible to change the spoken language of an already downloaded movie.
Accessing downloaded content outside the borders of Iceland
You can watch your downloaded content wherever you are. If you travel outside the EU, however, we recommend not connecting your device to a local network when using Viaplay. This is because we do not have rights outside the EU and thus there is the possibility that you will be blocked from the service, or that the Viaplay app will be automatically updated and you will lose the licenses for downloaded material during your stay.
A movie takes up between 2-3GB of the storage, while the episodes from series can range from 700Mbit to 2GB depending on its length and size.
* Note: We do not have offline rights for all series and movies on the service.
Do you want to use Viaplay abroad? Read more here.